Back pain is an extremely common condition with 85% of the population prompted to seek back pain treatment and rehabilitation at some stage in life.
The causes of back pain are many and varied but include:-
- Heavy manual tasks such as lifting, pushing and pulling
- Repetitive and awkward tasks
- Prolonged above shoulder-height work
- Postural factors, particularly prolonged and slump sitting.
There are also many sensitive structures in our back, each capable of causing pain. Spinal pain problems include:-
- Joint strains – spinal joints and rib attachments
- Muscle tightness and spasm
- Ligament Strains
- Spinal disc irritation and prolapse
- Poor core stability (weakness of the spinal stabilizing muscles)
- Sacroiliac joint (SIJ) problems
- Nerve root involvement (results in referred pain).
Back Pain Treatment
Correct diagnosis is paramount in order to determine which structures are responsible for the pain and, therefore, what back pain treatment is most appropriate. At your first back pain treatment, our physiotherapist will determine the cause of your pain, clearly explain what back pain treatment is required, and advise as to how you can hasten your recovery and minimize recurrence.
Our back pain treatment includes-:
- Mobilizations and mobilizations with movement to reduce stiffness and restore correct joint motion.
- Soft tissue massage, trigger point therapy, dry needling and muscle releases to relieve pain and improve flexibility and blood flow to the tissues.
- Core stability programmes to improve muscular support and protection for the spine. This is integral to minimizing recurrence of your pain.
- Manual handling advice and training to ensure correct performance of all manual tasks (lifting, pushing and pulling).
- Education as to which factors promote spinal pain and which relieve. This will help prevent recurrence of your pain.
For further information regarding our back pain treatment or to make an appointment to see our back pain physiotherapist, please call Keperra Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic on +61 7 3855 1367.